Totally Unique presents for loved ones
Silhouettes of Individuals, children, couples, dogs, multi generations of families or motorbikes/bicycle
You can choose a single, double or triple portrait, your children, whole family, pets and even favourite car or bike!
Simply send Sophie a photo/s - detailed instructions below on how to take the best shot - and she will recreate your beloved with meticulous precision, in black or colour.
A bespoke painted Silhouette Portrait
Sophie adopts the same technique and tools used by silhouette artists 300 years ago. It is a time-consuming process but essential to achieve a true likeness. She starts with a firm pencil outline, then applies a layer of black ink with miniaturist precision. The final stage uses gouache, a highly pigmented media which gives the silhouettes their characteristic depth, opacity and texture and makes them so special. This is a trial and error process and a single brushstroke the thickness of a hair can create enormous distance between the subject and his true likeness.
How to take the photo for a Silhouette
Sophie paints her silhouettes of subjects as young as two years old.Part of the preliminary process which enables Sophie to paint accurate silhouette profiles, involves the taking of reference photographs. These photographs must conform to the following requirements:
1. The subject should be standing against a plain light or dark background.
2. The subject must be facing at PRECISELY right angles to the camera. I find catching toddlers whilst they are focused on the TV helps
3. The camera must be held on a horizontal level with the subject's head.
4. Ensure that the head and shoulders almost fill the viewfinder.
5. The subject should not be smiling.
6. Take several photographs, with the subject facing both left and right.
Please email Sophie at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or with your photographs
The bespoke silhouette portrait can be in A4 or A3 - please specify whether you would like black and white or colour
Size options: A4 and A3
Couples portraits : Extra large in A3
For more complex commissions such as motorbikes, airplanes, cars, please contact Sophie for a quote