"Sophie has the amazing ability to bring life to shadows"
Totally Unique presents for loved ones
Silhouettes of Individuals, children, couples, dogs, multi generations of families or motorbikes/bicycle
Profile or action shot
Framed and free UK delivery
How Sophie paints silhouettes
Each painted portrait is unique and original, never a print!
You can choose a single, double or triple portrait, of your children, whole family, pets and even favourite car or bike! They can be traditional profiles or action shots
Simply send Sophie a photo/s - detailed instructions below on how to take the best shot - and she will recreate your beloved with meticulous precision, in black or colour.
Sophie adopts the same technique and tools used by silhouette artists 300 years ago. It is a time-consuming process but essential to achieve a true likeness. She starts with a firm pencil outline, then applies a layer of black ink with miniaturist precision. The final stage uses gouache, a highly pigmented media which gives the silhouettes their characteristic depth, opacity and texture and makes them so special. This is a trial and error process and a single brushstroke the thickness of a hair can create enormous distance between the subject and his true likeness.
Contact Sophie to enquire about your own
How to take the photo for a Silhouette
Sophie paints her silhouettes of subjects as young as two years old.Part of the preliminary process which enables Sophie to paint accurate silhouette profiles, involves the taking of reference photographs. These photographs must conform to the following requirements:
1. The subject should be standing against a plain light or dark background.
2. The subject must be facing at PRECISELY right angles to the camera. I find catching toddlers whilst they are focused on the TV helps
3. The camera must be held on a horizontal level with the subject's head.
4. Ensure that the head and shoulders almost fill the viewfinder.
5. The subject should not be smiling.
6. Take several photographs, with the subject facing both left and right.
7. If taking an 'action' shot, please ensure the side profile/s are clear
Please email Sophie at with any questions or with your photographs.
Bespoke Silhouette Pendants
Silhouettes can be commissioned and then created as pendants and engraved by London Sloane Street fine jeweller Cassandra Goad
Bespoke Silhouettes are available in silver from £375, gold from £675 and platinum from £1,356. Please contact the showroom on 0207 730 2202 for more information.